Preserving the Cornerstone of Hudson's Village Green
Baldwin-Buss House Foundation
Make history and donate today!
Concern about the future of one of Hudson's most historic and architecturally important homes was the catalyst for the formation of the Baldwin-Buss House Foundation in February 2019.
The Baldwin-Buss-Merino house is sited on Hudson's historic Village Green, is within Hudson's National Register Historic District, and is strategically located adjacent to both the historic business district and the First and Main business district. The house is part of a five parcel tract of land (.92 acres) that includes two commercial buildings.
The 1825 home has fallen into a state of disrepair and its beauty is masked behind a series of additions that are insensitive to its classical architecture. Development plans have sought to move the house from its original location to maximize the commercial value of the property. These plans called for building masses that would have further obscured and compromised the home's historic presence on the Village Green and its spatial relationship.
Remarkably, most of the home's original architectural features are still in tact. The Baldwin-Buss House Foundation seeks to restore the stature and beauty of the home through preservation and rehabilitation. In this endeavor, the foundation will return to the community a landmark that will educate, foster an appreciation for architecture and history, and transform the southwest corner of the Village Green.
The Baldwin-Buss House Foundation has entered into a Purchase Agreement for the historic house, commercial properties and vacant land. Purchase of the property is contingent upon obtaining funding commitments over an eight month period which commenced in April. Your support and time are of the essence.